- At some point during the night, ____ (insert any one of my kids' names here) shows up at Mom's bedside complaining of chills, fever, cough, congestion, etc.
- Mom staggers out of bed blearily to medicate said child and return him/her to bed
- Quarantine rules are placed in effect until all healthy kids are sent off to school in the morning
- Said sick child is kept in isolation for his/her own comfort and the safety of others even if he/she is feeling a bit better now that the Ibuprofen has brought the fever down
- Isolation also precludes purposeful breathing on/coughing on siblings even if this is hysterically funny according to the Gross Adolescent Boy Book of Humor.
- Sick child is then installed in Mom and Dad's big comfy bed for the day (see picture below)
- Therapy greyhounds are provided to comfort the sick child throughout the day
There's nothing as healing as a good snuggle.
- Lunch and more Ibuprofen are served in bed...
Yes, it's a heart shaped fluffernutter sandwich with angel wings...yes, I spoil them when they're sick...so what?
- Since OTC colds meds are relieving symptoms but aren't really a cure, Mom brings out the big guns and makes Jewish Penicillin.
- I'd like to thank Ree at http://thepioneerwoman.com/ and her friend Hyacinth for the recipe.
- By day's end, the sick child is kicked out of Mom and Dad's bed to continue recovery elsewhere.
- Yes, the sheets are washed...although I'm considering burning them and buying new if we can't get this epidemic under control.
- At bedtime, medication is distributed, air hugs and kisses are given (I love you but please don't breath on me/touch me!!!)
- By around 3:00AM, the cycle begins again..new face, same schtick.
- Sigh...More chicken soup, coming up.
|Who says all that time I spend reading blogs is wasted?|
|Seriously, this is the best chicken stock ever. I'm making it by the vat these days.|