Woohoo! We're on Top Mommy Blogs! Please click on the banner to vote for us...and thanks.

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Let her eat cake!


Kate requested a special cake for her sweet 16 birthday dinner...she loves watching "Ace of Cakes" on Food Network and had her heart set on something fancy, covered in fondant, and two-tiered. Since my baking skills are limited to boxed cake mixes and canned frosting, I set out to order the creation from a local bakery. When I saw the prices for even a small cake ($50-75 and up!), I decided to reinvent myself as a pastry chef overnight and bake it myself. I watched videos on YouTube about crumb coating, made a trip to Michael's for rolled fondant and other supplies, and started making a mess of my kitchen. It took most of the day but here's the result...far from perfect and Duff Goldman won't be feeling threatened, but it pleased our girl.
Purple, black and white...it matched her balloons and her dress!
Try to ignore the wrinkles in the fondant and just admire the pretty black and white sugar paper design instead.
Two tiers, fondant, fancy and girly...as requested.
The candles worked just fine!


Next birthday up...Madiyar in 3 weeks. I'm hoping he'd like a pan of brownies.


2 comments:

Anne Birdsong said...

Came out beautifully! Be proud, Mama!

Elisa LaSota said...

Happy Sweet 16, Kate! The little girl in cowgirl boots has turned into such a lovely young lady ;) Your
birthday cake is what memories are made of....one, I think, you will treasure in your heart forever. The
world is your stage...I KNOW you will shine!

HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

Love,
Mrs. LaSota